Monday, September 18, 2006

Reflection 1/2: Mall and Soccer and Lil' Bit of Thought

So Sunday I went shopping . And to make it even wierder, I went shopping over going wine tasting! But anyway.. as with all malls, not really exciting, bought some new shoes and a pair of jeans... nothing much to report.

Today, being without cleats (and using my very worn out nikes that has ZERO grip) + a busted ankle that hasn't fully healed, I went to play pick-up soccer w/ PARC people. Luckily it wasn't too intense at all, so I was able to pace myself and not play too too hard. There were only 9 ppl total who showed up, so not a full blown game, which made it much easier on my feet (which was a good thing). I have to admit though, not playing w/ cleats on a wet field is a major disadvantage... when I was smaller, I swear I would have never noticed the difference, but nowadays, if I had cleats today, it would be soooo much easier. I think I slipped completely at least 3 times today, and probably half-slipped a dozen times -- this is even w/ me going at half my pace...

Anyway, enough blabbering, it was fun nevertheless; met some new people from work, and they seem pretty cool. Its funny how being mediocre/decent at something gets people's attention. I really think that had I sucked today, these same people who seemed pretty nice would not have been too fond of me. Heck, one guy there even mentioned to me that I should play w/ him on Fridays at a pickup game in the afternoons with this other company close by... but the idea of walking back into the office sweating like a pig is not really an image I would like to portray.. those were back in the highschool days, and not really suitable these days... but I will see, PARC does have showers so I could definitely make use of it should I choose to play in the afternoon... Something to think about I guess...

So starting this week, I will probably be getting busier and busier. I have begun to realize that I've been slacking too much these past couple years, and haven't been really trying to do my best. I came across this guy called Steve Pavlina in one of my new recently acquired procrastination hobby. An article I found very interesting was the article of raising your standards. Since I don't' wanna possibly infringe on copyright (since I will probably have my hands full w/ the pier 39 prodigy later on), search for Steve Pavlina and once you are inside, search for an article called 'raise your standards' (he has a little search field for his visitors). Or ask me for the link and I can send it to you. But either way, I recommend underachievers to DEFINITELY read it, as I found that it produced an ever so tiny spark in me; leading me to think about what I've been doing these past years.

Now mind you, I am not being arrogant here and saying I am above everyone. (and if you think I am being an a55, then you don't really have to read this.. it is my blog after all .. friiikk! ... but all comments are welcome and will be taken seriously :) ).. I am just saying that ever since I've gotten into university -- and actually most of my life, I haven't really tried to the best that I can, happy to just float slightly above the pack in whatever I do; but as this article say, doing so makes me basically a 'loser'. Maybe thats why I admire those who put everything on the line for the things they care/like, and even if the outcome is not good, they still have my deepest respect.

Anyway, enough reflection for tonight, this is a public blog after all. Last thing I want is the world to know every little thing I think about. Heck, comments like these could get me sh*tted on in some countries!... nite nite

No comments: