Monday, September 18, 2006

Titanium - Cuts Through Bone

So once I again my most trusted blade comes through again. Four years ago, T-Bones became not a problem anymore as I used the titanium blade to cut through bone.

But like me, the blade is getting old and can't perform the feat of sawing through bone anymore. Whoever knew that today, in my moment of despair, my trusty blade would come through yet again.

Today's task was the unsplitting of the hunk of sliced meat I bought a month ago lying in the depths of the freezer. Normally, this hunk of meat would be split already prior to entering the freezer... but since I am living on my own now and 4000 miles away from TO, the 'magic meat distributor' was not readily available. (as well, I wasn't able to bring along the 'magic basket' either ;) )

So having missed eating meat for quite awhile, I decided that I will no longer let this hunk of meat tease me like salt water teasing a thirsty sailor. I was determined that for tomorrow's dinner, I will be chomping down on some good wholesome beef! So after being unsuccessful at prying the meat apart with my bare hands, I saw my trusty titanium knife... and a revelation came: if knife can cut through bone, then it can cut through frozen meat.

At first, I sawed, but that only produced shavings of meat. If I kept this up, I would probably be up till morning shaving away. Then another light bulb in my brain went off , and the 'L-stroke' technique was invented (major invention #2 since I've been at PARC)... Words cannot begin to describe this technique, one day I will give a demonstration of it... But with the L-stroke technique, the hunk of meat was no longer for my trusty titanium tool!

End Result: 20 minutes later, hunk of meat laid in 5 separate bags, titanium blade still in one piece, I am still in one piece --> mission complete!

Now some anticipated questions that I wil reply to right away:
Q: Why not just defrost the meat and then cut it?
A: Takes too long to melt. I actually waited 4 hours before preforming this feat... but the meat was still rock hard! Guess that's what happens when you stick meat in a freezer for 3 weeks.

Q: Why didn't you split it up on the first day you bought the meat?
A: I was too lazy ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it all depends how you want to spend your time - before or after, longer or shorter!!! have fun.