Friday, November 03, 2006

Operation V220 Revival!

So for those who do not know... my cell phone battery had been going through some rough times since august. A month or so ago, the battery was officially dead... rendering my V220 powerless... (and useless).

So it was Fri afternoon at the creative powerhouse Xerox PARC when a lightbulb went off.

Idea: lithium ion battery = 3.6V. So what if I wired 3 AA batteries together, would I be able to power the V220 that way?...

... So off I went to grab some wires, some tape, some scissors and off I went.







Results:
As you can see by the pictures, the cell phone turned on! :)... 4 years, $6K a term, that's what EEs do!.. haha...

The only drawback is that the phone cannot make or receive calls. My hypothesis is that the wireless component draws too much power.

So for now, the phone can turn on, and when someone calls, rings and then go 'warning, battery low'...If i accept the call, phone dies.

No comments: