Sunday, July 01, 2007

My First Churchy Experience

So this morning, invited by me landlord the day before, I went with them to their fellowship to check it out (yes, even though it was bright and early at 9am).

It was pretty interesting, very different than I had imagined. Instead of having some priest talk and talk, they were instead all sitting on normal chairs, and everyone yelled out random things every so often, and then everyone would go 'yaya' or something like that.

So the thing began by everyone having to sing hymns together for an hour, then a break, then sang more. After that, the people split into groups and went into little rooms. In there, it felt sort of like high school english class - everyone would sit around in a circle, flip to a page in their book with two lines on it, then try to interpret and decipher it. This goes on for about an hour. Today's perspective was very peculiar.. haha. All this talk about conforming and not taking the lead. A very different viewpoint indeed... interesting nevertheless... even more interesting if people debated I think (but I don't think that was the point of the circle gathering).

Then lunch! A pot-lucked style lunch, with little kids running around and everyone helping each other out. Kinda interesting - reminds me of those big picnics I used to have wayyyy back.

To me, I think I got the most out of the sitting around in a circle part and the break. Not quite sure what the purpose of the singing hymn thing was for... hrmmm....

No comments: