Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thg Jog of No Return!

Was originally going to the library to pick up a few reading books, but after having a pack of bacon for lunch, decided I would jog instead. Becoming curious, I looked up the route I had been running. Turns out the path is actually about 3 miles. Which means that in the past year I have managed to go from a 5 minute run.. to running 5km :). Guess I finally completed one of my 'to-do's...

So back to today, wanting the best of both worlds, I looked up how far it is to the library... 2.8 miles one way. Having not jogged for 2 months, I probably shouldn't have taken this on... but meh, I wanted those library books. Worse case I would take the bus back on the return leg. So armed with the essentials (phone, keys), and extra items water, bus pass and a credit card, off I went!

So I was able to run most of the one way trip. Only walked twice for a little bit as I was going uphill. Never realized those hills were that steep! Total running time = 31 minutes... so I'd say I probaby got there in 40 minutes. Not too bad at all!

Once I was at the library, I went in and started reading one of the books I borrowed for a little bit (and also to rest a little). I am very glad to have made this trip! Because the book's opening was just amazing. This Paulo Coelho author is pretty good indeed!

Seeing the sun starting to set, it was time for me to attempt to jog back home. At the library, I realized that both my quads were pretty sore from the run (a good indication that I did a pretty good workout :P). If it was only that, jogging home would not be too tough because as I run, my quads would loosen up again and it will feel ok. However, the semi-expected issue came up... and this made the return home pretty tough! Having mostly run on trails, The impact with the concrete pavement that I experienced today did quite a number on me. And because of it, my ankles/foot were actually pretty sore from the run... to the point where walking caused my left foot to hurt. The interesting part of this was that the part that was most sore was not my right foot, but a part of the left foot that has never hurted before... EVER! I found it both surprising and amusing at the same time... haha.

Nevertheless, I started off jogging from the library, but within a few minutes, decided that I would stop jogging for fear that I might cause some permanent damage to my foot (seeing that I felt pain every step I took!). At this point, I could have used my backup plan and taken the bus, but being impatient with the bus system, I continued to march forward - turns out the time between buses == the same time for a limp to get to where he wanted to go...

Arriving back home in one piece, took a nice shower and then got ready for part II of the night, peking duck in S.town!

No comments: