Sunday, February 15, 2009

First Ski Session in the West Coast

After having wanted to go since last year, today the stars and moon aligned.... and off to skiing it was!

First time west coast skiing experience. In many ways similar, in some ways different.

Weirdness #1 - Getting the rentals
So they are extremely weird here... I get my boots, then walk over to get the skis. When I am there, the person tells me to give them a shoe... Hrmm... Shadddddy...
Sidenote: They might have as well not asked to take my shoe off for them to set the skis up, because the bindings on one of my foot was lose anyway (found this out towards the end of the day... when we were waiting for a bus... yes a bus). Here the whole time I thought it was because I haven't skiied often enough (which is true too :P)

Weirdness #2 - Snow, snow everywhere... only 40 minutes away
Where I was at, there was ZERO snow. If anything, I'd call it slightly mild weather. But 40 minute drive away... BAM! Snow banks, cold air... the whole shibam!

Weirdness #3 - Tricked by Staff
Lift was going to be closed soon - so we went for a final run, thinking we would be able to get one more ride up. We got past the staff closing off the slope, and so we happily thought that we made it... only to get down there and have this other person go "No. We are closed."... wtf?!?!?!

All in all though. It was pretty fun. It's nice to be skiing different slopes. Will go again definitely!

Now... should I or should I not buy skis... .hrmmmm....

No comments: