Friday, October 08, 2010

Sushi Attempt #1


With my new knife, today I decided I would try to 'make' sushi. The thinking, buy some sashimi grade fish at Uwajimaya, slice them up, make miso soup, some sushi rice and drink some sake :). Not bad for a Friday night.

So after purchasing all the materials, went about making this happen.

Result:
Sushi Rice
Added too much vinegar, so the rice was sooo sour that I gave up eating it after half a bowl

Sashimi
Bought Tilapia, White Tuna, and Octopus. I have to say, Octopus is just amazing. Tako, tako, tako! However, I cut the Octopus pretty badly, so it didn't look pretty at all (same w/ the other two).. But next time, will make this look better.

Sushi
Plan was to make Nigiri (slap on a fish on some rice). But this was alot harder than I thought. Next time, will let the rice cool down first before trying to pick it up with my bare hands... lol.

Miso Soup
This was the best out of it all. Did buy the wrong tofu - bought firm instead of soft... so the texture was a bit off, and forgot the green onion. But this was still pretty decent.

Much to improve on, but this is a start :0).

No comments: