Friday, October 22, 2010

Sushi Attempt #2

2 weeks ago, I first tried making sushi at home. While that wasn't too successful, I did get some ideas on how to improve. So with this in mind, attempt #2!

Result:
Sushi Rice
Right amount of vinegar (no more sourness). However, half of the rice got burnt and the water portion seem to flood out. Peeling off the burnt part, the rice was ok.

Sashimi
Bought White Tuna, Hamachi and Salmon. Hamachi is great! Mmmm...
The white tuna and salmon didn't look like how the restaurants do it - it looked a lot smaller then I liked.
Also, the salmon wasn't as good as the ones at the restaurant... I wonder if it's because how I am cutting it (supposedly if you cut against the grain in a certain angle, the salmon tastes that much better).

Sushi
This time it was alot better. After the rice was done, scoped it out into a bowl and let it sit a little bit to cool down BEFORE trying to handle it with my bare hands. Was able to make the shape pretty well after that.

Miso Soup
Again, the best part out of it all. Soft tofu, green onion in place. Simply delicious.

Will improve on more. Once I figure out how to find really tasty fish, then i should be set (all that fish, it was only $12!)

No comments: