Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Experiment: Edibility of Microwavable Popcorn that is Past Expiry Date

So a few years ago, I had bought from the store some microwavable popcorn packs. Being the superbly healthy person that I am (and that whenever I make it, my place smells like popcorn and butter for days), today I still had a few packs lying around. Needless to say, the expiry/best before date was well past.

However, craving popcorn to complement my TVB watching, I wondered - what would happen if I microwaved a pack of popcorn that is at least a year (if not two) expired? Would it be edible... would I get sick?

...Since my sick days are no where near used up, this was the perfect opportunity to give this a shot...

Purpose:
To establish if expired microwavable popcorn is edible

Hypothesis:
Since 'normal' popcorn kernels can last for a long time, and microwavable popcorn are just popcorn kernels in a bag, it would probably work.

Observations:
There is less popping during the microwaving time. On opening the bag after, there are less popcorn overall (alot more kernels were left unpopped) - still got at least a 3/4 bag full though.

Popcorn otherwise tasted just like before. Same taste, and didn't get sick.

Conclusion:
This is supported by various others out on the world wide web - where apparently, I wasn't a pioneer. But this confirms my results.

Another experiment complete!

No comments: