Friday, April 15, 2011

JA Day and Interesting Thoughts

So today marks another set of modules for Junior Achievement. It's definitely a fun program that I enjoy alot. Now if I didn't have to wake up at 7:00am for it, then it'd be even more awesome.

It was pretty cool because turns out there were a few of the kids from last year who I taught that were in this class. It's amazing what one year can do to these kids! Some of them are so much more grown up than the year before. Perhaps the even better thing I thought was that some of the (well, most of them that I taught) actually remembered me!

I have to say though I don't think I was as prepared as I like to be. This time around I did less prep work (since I've done this set of modules before), but I guess it's sorta the 'retaking a course syndrome', where I knew the material, but not really inside out. Also, I think I like trying out new things, but didn't get a chance to for this module. It was interesting though to think back on how different the dynamics of the class was compared to the one from 2 years ago. Same module, different students, way different dynamics. Pretty interesting I thought.

To add to it, today was even more intriguing because there was a substitute teacher during the session. My initial impression of him when I first walked in was that he was pretty sharp and very efficient type of person. He just had this different aura about him that I usually don't see in teachers.

Towards the end of the lesson, we chatted briefly and apparently he was actually an ex-MSftie who was on Windows Live even up to a few years ago, but then decided to just go 100% into teaching since he was spending more and more time in the area.

Pretty admirable I think - in the Alchemist, I guess he would be the crystal shop merchant who got up, and moved slowly the store and himself to Mecca, then eventually just left the shop and went to Mecca.

To trade away the things like he did, I wonder if that will one day I will walk down a similar path... .. . Or have I strayed too far already... .. .

No comments: