Saturday, June 18, 2011

Seattle Works - Gardening in the Rain

So today was the second of the volunteering sessions for this quarter with the Beer-View Mirrors.

This time we would be going to help out at a community orchard to help build out the orchard. From making bean tepees from bamboo poles, creating a new garden to take advantage of ground and metal shipping container heat, planting edible vegetables, to making the field pretty, we did it all!

Pretty worthwhile cause because most of the proceeds do end up going back to the community, and the lady that debriefed us was pretty enthusiastic about the whole thing.

For my part, I did some sh*t tossing (literally) and alot of planting. Learned how to plant perenials today. Thinking back, I am impressed in how mom used to do this tirelessly each year - it's alot of work.

So the 10+ of us worked through the rain, and in record time, completed beyond expectations of what they hoped for us to achieve.... Yes, we rock! Definitely though it would have made the experience that much more fun if it was sunny.

Afterwards, onwards to the usual happy hour to warm up near a nice fireplace with some ginormous pizzas right across from Mashiko's. Seeing it just made me want to go back for the omakase even more.

Heading home, I spend literally 15 minutes trying to rinse the gloves I used from the dirt that accumulated in my planting and digging. After like 1000+ rinses, I would say it still was brown and dirty and oozing with dirt. If they weren't what I thought was nice gloves, I would have just gave up on them and tossed them out. So continue on they will stay in my bathtub and let time clean it up (and no, definitely not going in the washer - pretty sure it will destroy my washer since it only has a low, medium, or high for soil... these gloves are in the 'landfill' site soil level)... .. .

No comments: