Monday, July 04, 2011

July 4th Weekend - Day IV - The Final Day of Random Things

After good pizza hut, woke up the next day at 8am to make our way to the meteor crater. One thing to note - last night's sleep was great, for the first time on this trip I didn't wake up in the middle of the night. The first night the AC was just roaring away, the second night, a train would come every 15 minutes (though luckily for me, I only heard it come through 3 times unlike the rest of my travel buddies... hahaha).

The meteor crater was sort of interesting. It was a really big hole come to think of it, but I think it would be cooler if there was some more gimmicks to it. Then after this, we went back to Sedona, to do a hike before we head to the airport. Finding this one last night, it looked like it was pretty cool, and it would be a pretty easy hike (longer than Cathedral Rock, but not as steep)

Driving our awesome non SUV rental car, we tried to go as close to the trailhead as possible, but eventually about a quarter mile into the dirt trail, we parked the car on the side and made the trek on foot (since all we saw for big drops on the raod).

So with my busted ankle and the trusty camphor/menthol cream that is a great local analgesic, the hike was on!
Picture en route to Devil's bridge. Made some really stupid poses at the top and spent easily half an hour there... once I get my hands on them, I shall link it to this post. To make my mark, I also signed the guestbook with my name, with the commment - hiking with a busted ankle.

The sky had a few clouds and the view was just amazing. I actually liked what I saw here alot more than at the top of Cathedral Rock. I think the different colors (ie. green, white, etc.) really makes it pretty - compared to Cathedral rock where everything was really just red (the rocks), and blue (the sky).

On the way back, we see this old couple trying to make the ascent, and since they looked like they were dying, the good Samaritan me gave them one of my bottled waters so they have a chance of making it to the top. With that, I complete my good deed of the day.

With the hike complete, we reached the tail end of our trip, grabbing yet more food at a fast food joint. So the tally for this trip is that we ended up having KFC twice, Pizza Hut once, and What-a-Burger once. I feel fat!

At the airport, aside from just chilling waiting for the flight, I tried to do the whole data phone checkin thing at the security checkpoint. Unfortunately, turns out not all airports nor airlines can do it. For Southwest, apparently they don't have the scanners to do online checkin in PHX. However, this airport made up for it with a body scanner that was alot faster (it actually only top less than 10 seconds to scan) - totally different than the S.town ones that I swear takes a minute.

On the plane as we took off, the flight attendant pointed us to look out our windows to see the city shooting fireworks all around Phoenix. It was a pretty cool sight as little flashes of fireworks of different heights just fire out from the ground. Not a common sight at all - pretty cool!

And with that, ends the July 4th weekend of 2011.

No comments: