Saturday, August 27, 2011

Peru+Brazil Trip: Day 3: Wayna Picchu and Machu Picchu

Wasn't really able to sleep last night, but did end up waking at 4.30am. Talking last night in my ultra broken spanish and handwaving, was able to get our complimentary breakfast to go. So armed with water, camera, and breakfast, off we set to the bus stop.

The hostel was conveniently located within a minute or two walk from the bus station, which made it that much easier to get there on time. Arriving at 5.05am, there were already easily 70 people in front of us - good thing we got there early!

The hostel was conveniently located within a minute or two walk from the bus station, which made it that much easier to get there on time. Arriving at 5.05am, there were already easily 70 people in front of us - good thing we got there early!

Twenty minutes later, boarding begins, and we end up on the 3rd bus. Another 20 min later, we have arrived at the base!

Even more people when we got there, turns out some folks actually hike up the switchbacks (takes about an hour) to get there. Saw 3 of these people at least.

Machu Picchu itself was pretty awesome. Maybe it's the first ruins I've seen in years, maybe it's just that awesome. It can only really be described with pictures.

Since we got the tickets in advance, we also got our hands on hiking up Wayna Picchu. The best part was, it's guaranteed :). The hike wasn't too bad, but it did involve a little panting here and there. The view though was pretty cool as we got high enough to see the entire Machu Picchu site (actually, I find that being inside Machu Picchu wasn't all that awe inspiring, but seeing it as a whole with the mountain backdrop is the key). Up that high surrounded by mountains and clouds, it was a pretty mind clearing experience - especially when you gaze down, you see ruins of a city dating back 800 years. Once again, the simple life theme prevails here... ahhh.. if only life was that simple.

We did go on a tour as well after the hike with a tour guide, and it was well worth it. For 100 sols (+ 20 sol tips), we got the story behind certain structure and rocks, that I swear otherwise we would have never saw.

Once the tour ended, we headed back into town. Even though it was only 1:30, we had spent 7 hours there already! Arriving back, we chose a high class looking place that we thought would have decent food and service over this empty dark shady place across the street. While the decor was nice, the service was terrible...

event #1: no service for 10 minutes
So two of us went to el bano, while I just sat, and they never came to even give me a menu... wtf #1.

event #2: asking me if I am ready...
So after both of them got back, I went and then returned to the table. Menu is there now, but within a minute bald dude comes by and goes are u ready and gets all pushy.. er.. I've only been able to look at the menu with 10 pages of ad... so I nicely went 'un momento'.. then he just disappears...

Another 5 minutes passes, he has just disappeared, so I just decided to go for the buffet and eat...as I got back to the table, he just finishes taking the other orders. They so slooow...

event #3: Bill time
Taking at least 15 minutes to get the bill, they completely miss my food order and can't even tell me how much I owe them... .. . Could have easily walked out (which was what the other table next to us did I think), but I felt bad scamming them 42 Sols. After yet another 10 minutes, the change still haven't arrived, when it did, it still didn't have my food on there. So half annoyed good samaritan me drops down 45 sols and tells them that's for the buffet and left (I did also order a lemonade, but hey, at this point, it's their fault).

Also as a parting gift, I clogged their toilet... oops.

Having ended Machu Picchu earlier than we thought, we switched our train tickets to an earlier one so we got back to Ollanta by 8ish instead of 11ish. Good thing too because the hostel arrangement had switched and also we got to close out the tab with kb tambo (reception apparently closes around 9). This last hostel was the quietest one of all 3 (partly because it was an end unit), so it gets the best rating of the 3. Kb Tambo was nice though, the one bedroom was pretty spacious and good location too.

No comments: