Monday, August 29, 2011

Peru+Brazil Trip: Day 5: Foz de Iguaçu

Waking up at a more normal time today, we headed to the falls... by bus! :). In some ways it is funny, because here we were dishing out 115 reais each for a maid of the mist ride later in the day, but we wanted to save 20 reais on taxi so instead we took the bus. Having said that, the bus experience was cool though, since it was alot safer and easy than I'd imagined.

The hike turned out to be just a simple walk towards the bottom of the falls. The best part was I was able to take pictures with a rainbow in it (thx to the tip from Travel Buddy on using the CPL to maximize the color of the rainbow.

After lunch, we went on this boat ride that would put us near the falls. My orange jacket was worth every dollar here :). Barely got wet - another clutch purchase :D. To add to it, it was also very useful at the bottom of the falls, where I stayed soooo dry.

The boat tour consisted of two pieces - a safari portion and the boat portion. The safari portion was a jib. All it was is a ride to the loading area, with a 600m walk to delay time. In the ride there, there wasn't really anything worth mentioning - all there was were trees, some oranges and what the person in front of us called 'rat' (which I think was really a rabbit)... The boat ride was nice, though it was wayyy too short. I think we were really near the falls for about 5 minutes tops. All in all, for what was said to be a 2 hour tour, it was really 1.75 hour of travel time, 15 min of actually goodness. Having said that, would I recommend it? Probably, because the view from the bottom of the waterfall is very unique, and does have that wow factor to it. Also, if you have dirty clothes, this is the place to wear it to because you do get a free wash here courtesy of Foz de Iguaçu :P

Returning back, we decoded we didn't want to eat out - the food wasn't particularly unique nor good, but it was pricey. So instead we went to grocery store to grab dinner. I bought the quarter chicken for 8 reais and a bottle of coke (just like the old Cummer days). The chicken was salty though, so I actually didn't end up finishing the whole thing.

At this hotel, it was also where I had planned to do laundry. Originally I was going to do this myself, but finding out they offered this service, I was too lazy to do it myself. 1kg for 10 reais - seemed like a good deal. Especially after dusty Machu Picchu and Peru, seemed like a pretty reasonable price. Today it came back, saying the clothes weighed 8 kg for 2 people's worth of laundry!... I was like err... really?

So we went to talk to the guy, turns out his weigh was offset by 2 kgs, so basically instead of 8kg, it was only 5kg between two people.

So far it seems like Brazil is pretty expensive. Maybe it is because this is a tourist town, but if not, it's pretty pricey.

No comments: