Thursday, September 01, 2011

Peru+Brazil Trip: Day 7: Part II - Rio de Janeiro - Football, ole ole ole!


With the entire party dead exhausted (since they did wake up early the day before to see the falls from Argentina while I slept until 3, they were easily passed our till 6pm. Waking up, we strolled down to find a Chinese restaurant... so I couldn't resist trying their chicken fried rice. It actually smelled pretty good, and I would say almost at Regent quality - though as with all Brazilian dishes, it tasted more salty than I would prefer. The price was also pretty steep, at 18 reais for basically the amount of rice for combo #1 at MS.

So after finishing eating the takeout fried rice to the sounds of portugese pokemon, we strolled down to the lobby to wait for the pickup. It was a tad late, and was actually a slightly longer ride than I liked.

The football match experience was pretty good. Though the stadium wasn't packed, our side was pretty loud and non stop cheers all through the game. The huge flags are also pretty awesome - first them ever seeing them in real life completely trumps seeing them on tv.

The game itself - well, Botafango won 3-0, completely dominating from the start until end. Haven't seen such a lop sided match in years (except when I am playing indoor on my team lol). I personally was expecting more flair from the players (saw very little in my opinion), but I guess it's understandable given it was a wet pitch and non of the players (except maybe 2?) are on the national squad. The experience was good nevertheless, really wished I could watch Flamengo or St. Paulo play though, ahhh that would have been awesome.

Also, food here was actually reasonably priced. A hotdog was only 5 reais, this carnes in bread dough thing was only 11. I so wished I didn't get the chicken fried rice and instead got stadium food(which would be cheaper and more interesting).

The stadium actually had free WiFi - but it wasn't strong enough from where I was fir me to make good use of it. So the hunt continues...

Returning to the hotel after midnight 1am to be exact, tired Mson out.

No comments: