Saturday, October 15, 2016

Handyman Mson... Fail!

Today the new appliances arrive!  So pretty and shiny :)
As I was checking out the rest of the place, I noticed that the shower plate (aka the escutcheon plate) seem to be coming off.  So Handyman Mson opens the plate up, and lets the water out that was ponding at the bottom of the plate (guess whoever was taking care of the place before didn't know to not seal the bottom half of the plate so that water could escape if it does get in.

After taking it out, I thought, why not replace the knob and the shower plate all together, so it is brand spanking new?  Easy enough task I thought so off I went...

Little did I know,
#1)  each shower assembly only works with certain models (ie. a lever type shower handle cannot be used to replace a knob type one).
#2) shower cartridge is the thing that controls the hot and cold water.  To work with that piece, the water should to the shower valve should be turned off.
#3) replacing the plate is pretty simple - but some models come with a shower cartridge replacement.  So if you are not careful you might pull out the shower cartridge without knowing.

Well, turns out that was me.  But luckily (or unluckily), no water was spouting out even after I pulled out the shower cartridge.  Later on I realized that when I was unscrewing the shower cartridge, I only unscrewed part of it... yikes!.

So now I learnt what a 'shower cartridge' is.
Handyman Mson.. Fail :(.

No comments: