Sunday, July 16, 2017

ER for 5 hours...

First time playing soccer in a month... ended up spending 5 hours in the ER.  A pretty freaky fall where I was doing a spin move and got tripped, and just fell sideways.  Landed with my left hand and snap, it was definitely broken.  Wrist was totally distorted - and it was very very painful.

Receptionist: How is it?
Nurse Person who walked me in: Yea, it's pretty deformed.

Yup - that sums it up.

Two morphine shots, and some 'D' drug later, the pain was controllable.  But supposedly they were about to hang me (my hand) for a few hours, to try to let gravity pull me into place - so I was originally going to take one more dose (since this hanging was supposed to be painful).  But I ended up not taking this second dose, as the same thing when I had bruised my ribs a few years happened.
I actually warned the nurses and docs that if this happened, all I needed was some apple juice and cookies.  Of course initially they did not really believe me, but as they were just about to give me my next dose, it started to happen.  Apparently my face and lips turned white, and my blood pressure plummeted... but they quickly stabilized me by putting me on more IV juice and started sticking more stickers on me.  Needless to say, shortly after that, I got my juice (thicked apple juice), Gatorade, but no cookies :(.

2 hours later, they tried to push the bone back into place, but no such luck.  So they sent me home with some painkillers.  As it turns out, the reason they didn't give me my cookies was because they were afraid that they might need to put me under general during the push the bone back process (since it was suppose to be super painful).  But nope, I have to say, after them drugs inside, I was actually not in too much pain.


Returning home, our haul from grocery shopping earlier in the day was waiting for us.  We had found a good deal on crab and spot prawns.  So getting home at midnight, after having had nothing other than 2 eggs, thickened apple juice, and Gatorade, we made a quick dinner with the fish and the spot prawns, and boiled the crab to be saved for another day.  Good thing I know how to open prawns with one hand (and a mouth :) ).  These prawns were pretty yummy!

Thank you to my soccer teammates for driving my car, giving me some emergency advil, taking me to the hospital, giving them there jersey for a splint for the car ride.

No comments: