Sunday, May 08, 2011

Omakase for $60! - Soooo good - Mashiko

Now during the Chamber Choir volunteering, because there was so much free time, me and little genius talked about what's for dinner. Craving Japanese food in spite of the earthquake, under little genius's recommendation, we went and tried Mashiko.

This was a restaurant I had wanted to try for awhile now (it was in the top 10 Japanese restaurants to try on my list in S.town).

Arriving at 9pm (I was half an hour late as I lost trace of time working on my assignment), I saw the Omakase and when the server said it depends but last time someone had it it came out to about $70, so I went.. I want one :)

The Omakase was simply put, amazing. It was amazingly good and unique, and for its price, really worth it.

I don't remember all the dishes because there were so many, but some of them included:
- Geoduck sashimi with this really tasty sauce
- A kunimoto oyster on half shell (Seattle grown, not from Japan)
- daikon + tobiko dish (they put a slab of daikon, then top it off with tobiko. Sort of like the 'season melon' with dried scallop dish I thought.
- Albacore Toro Sashimi (This was yummy, it really does melt in my mouth)
- Tuna poke
- Sashimi of these really tiny mackerel tasting like fish
- A mackerel dish
- Rice with fermented soy beans (very sour)
- Clams cooked in a clay pot (this was on par with Matt's)
- cooked mackerel with kaze kasu sauce (pretty good, the sauce was yummy too)
- standard ice cream for dessert
... and a few others that I don't remember. In hindsight, I should have taken a picture of each - maybe next time I go I will do that.

So the kicker was, I thought this would easily be a $100+ outing (which I was totally prepared for given what I was eating). But then the bill came, and the omakase portion turned out to be ... only $60!!! If one were to think about it, this averages to < $6 a dish! compared to what the others on the table ordered, mine was easily the best tasting and most bang for the buck... hahaha. (It was only $60 because towards the end, I was starting to get full and I wasn't a big fan of mackerel and sour stuff, so I called off the remaining dishes)

3 hours later, $60 Omakase in my tummy, I head home, very satisfied.. Mmmmm...

We also got this corner table, so it was really nice and chill. Definitely will be coming here again.

1 comment:

Virtualawrence said...

I heard about Mashiko from before. Now I'm convinced I need to check it out.