Sunday, May 08, 2011

Volunteering at Chamber Choir

Today the last of Seattle Works volunteer event of the session has us going to help set up a fundraiser for a local chamber choir. Though probably not the most enjoyable, this is the lightest of all the assignments I have ever done.

The main thing that bothered me was their efficiency. It was horrible. So this 4 hour event turned out to be 1.5 hour (with half of us arriving late). Really wished they told us in the beginning what all the things they wanted us to do were. Had they told us, we probably could have finished in an hour. Probably would have been done in an hour.

One classic example:
Goal: Put 300 display items on tables. The tables would thus have 300 numbered cards, 300 labelled sheets, ~300 items.

So first they asked us to put the numbered cards down... Then after we were done, they tell us to put the bid sheets down. ...er.. Why couldn't they just give us both of these at the same time???

Now to add to this, now because they somehow decided to print the odd and even stacks separately, the lady somehow decides that she would sort them in order first before giving it to us, only to lay them out again. #!*%^&&*%$. After I realized she was doing this, I just went and asked her to give me odd/even stacks and I will sort them as I go along when I lay them down. Then she goes... wait wait, there are empties...

I felt like a sixth grader... you'd think we can probably figure out to not put empties down right (let alone knowing what odd and even numbers are...)... What this lady was thinking was beyond me.

The good thing though was that they gave us cake, and it was an awesome sunny day. And had a great happy hour with fellow Seattle Works folks.

But oh well, it did sound like we helped them enormously. So I did do a good deed afterall...

No comments: