Saturday, July 02, 2011

July 4th Weekend - Day I - En route to PHX

After having been back to work for a couple weeks, it was time to go on a short mini trip :). This time it would be to a national park, then to the Grand Canyon - the bottom of it, then hike a trail in the Grand Canyon.

The plan - Move around places daily, long gruesome day hikes, driving for hours at a time... From the start, this was going to have the elements of a soldier trip.

But first things first... had to get there. So after picking up all the other partners in crime, I drive in traffic to try out a new park and ride, which turned out was 10 minutes further than before... (note to self: not going there anymore). We ended up arriving at the gates just before boarding - which as you all know, is a bit too close to comfort for me these days. It was a pretty full flight - but I was pretty lucky and got the emergency exit seats, so plenty of room!

Arriving at Phoenix, the awesome data phone comes in and hunts us down an Applebie's. I have to say, data phones are great... not quite sure why I didn't move to one for so long.

The portions were huge at Applebies (much bigger than S.town)... and I also noticed that there was a sign saying that the kids eat free on Wednesday. I can only wonder how many people take advantage of this. As decent Applebies is, if a kid came and ate every Wedensday... I would imagine they turn faaaaaat!

Anyhow, after dinner, our awesome driver drove us to our first destination... Sedona. We arrive at 12:15am to the place (Wildflower Inn)... only to find that the reception was closed, and the phone number that was left there goes to voicemail. So here we are, 12:15am in the morning, after a 3 hour plane ride and a 4 hour drive, in the parking lot. I sure wished I brought my sleeping bag with me on this trip... lol.

But being extremely resourceful, 2 of us went next door to the hotel, and found a room for us to crash for the night. The deal wasn't as good, but meh, it would be a roof under our heads.

So ends the first day. Tomorrow - onwards to see bedrock!

No comments: