Sunday, September 30, 2012

Bday Weekend Part II: Soccer and Glass Blowing Adventure

After a nice surprise last night, today I was to get another surprise :).

So after the soccer game (which we lost 6-0), but probably our team played our best game yet, I drove into the S.town.  Turns out today we are going to be going for some Glass Blowing fun!

I've been wanting to do this for years - but always felt it was a bit expensive to do and didn't want to just get a sub par class experience where one doesn't get to blow on glass but only paint stuff or make something simple like a paper weight.  Today though, PhD friend got the private class package, and we would get to blow and 'grab' glass from the oven, make a bunch of stuff with glass that we would get to keep!  Sweeeet!

It was really hot, and I think I now can see why 'real' glass makers usually don't have arm hair or eyebrows... They get soooo close to the kilns.

We ended up making:
- 2 paperweights
- 1 floating ball
- 1 ornament
- 1 pumpkin
- 1 popcorn bowl (though pretty small)
- 1 wavy bowl
- 1 bowl w/ a space needle in the middle
Truth be told though, other than the paperweights, the other glass pieces required our teacher's 'guidance' and saving to materialize... hahahaha.

Ohhh... I also got to wear the fire suit.  I gotta get that picture one of these days and post it.  I look like a space man!

Thank you for the birthday present :).

PS. Now that I think about it, this is the first sober birthday I've had since I was 18!

No comments: