Saturday, March 08, 2014

Okinawa and Taipei - Day 2: Whale Shark Diving

Woke up this morning to do one of the most anticipated things while I was here - Scuba diving and swimming with a Whale Shark!  The scuba diving was pretty nice.  Got to see stingrays swim around from a far and also played with an octopus :).  Saw some of the fishes I ate from the night before too … kee kee kee.

[Details in Dive Log...]

Because we were certified divers, we were able to go inside the net to be up close and personal with the two whale sharks.  The other group of people could only snorkel from outside the net to see the whale shark.  The dive masters/tour guide did bring the whale shark close to the net at times so the snorkelers get the experience too!

But inside is just that much more exciting.  At one point, one of the dive masters let me wave the bag of plankton in front of me, so the whale shark came by and ate it.  Gobble gobble - its mouth was huggge!  Needless to say I got really close to it.  I should also mention that we were in there for about 20 to 25 minutes.  During the dive I thought It was pretty short because based on the tables, at 30ft max depth we should be able to be in the water for 40 or so minutes - so I felt cheated.  On returning to the surface, I started reading some of the pamphlets and what not and realized it wasn't 30ft, but 30 meters… lol.  So that explains why the dive masters told us to stay in the middle and not the bottom of the net, and also why we were only in there for 25 minutes or so.

After scuba, we went to have some lunch at a local Okinawan supermarket like place by the pier.  I am really liking the different types of seafood and variety to choose from.  It is sooo fresh!  We ended up at the table with these Taiwanese girls who was here for a bachelorette party (they were the snorkelers people).  We needed up sharing the food that we got and so got to try quite a lot of stuff!  Yummmmy.


For dinner, we ate at the hotel (it required a reservation, and I can see why).  Very cute presentation of food.  Though I was still hungry after it all.

The menu:

With that, I am now officially in the future!

No comments: